Posted on June 27th, 2023
Anxiety is characterized by a mood of fear and is often associated with insomnia. Panic disorders are recurrent attacks of severe anxiety. Causes may include fatigue, stress, nervous disorders, depression or hormone imbalance.
Signs and Symptoms
• Tension over or terror about a danger whose source is often unrecognized
• Rapid heartbeat or respiration
• Gastrointestinal distress
• Motor tension (trembling, muscle aches, restlessness, inability to relax)
• Dry mouth
• Impatience and irritability, insomnia, or difficulty in concentrating
• With generalized anxiety disorder, persistent anxiety for at least a month without any specific phobia or panic attack
• Possible drug abuse to avoid symptoms
Signs and Symptoms
• Feelings of fear or extreme tension and a sense of impending doom
• Shortness of breath
• Palpitations, chest pain or discomfort, or feelings of choking or smothering
• Dizziness or unsteadiness
• Sense of unreality
• Tingling in your extremities (hands or feet); hot and cold flashes; inexplicable perspiration
• Fear of losing your mind, dying, or losing control
• Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
Acupuncture for anxiety works by:
Downregulating the body’s stress response by balancing neurotransmitters and hormones. Stress triggers the production of certain hormones (cortisol and adrenaline) to enable the body to deal with stress accordingly. Chronic stress can reduce your serotonin levels which is the hormone associated with happiness and feelings of wellbeing. Acupuncture can help balance these hormones and reduce anxiety symptoms.
Acupuncture is an effective modality for treating anxiety as it helps to reduce stress levels, balance hormones and regulate the part of the brain that is responsible for certain emotions and behavioral traits.
Schedule your FREE consultation to find out what else you can be doing to improve your health!